I made this little Mummy Candy Jar (it’s not really a jar . . . but that’s what I’m calling it . . . Unless you can think of something better) for the man I am really in love with, my husband. Filled it with his favorite candy, and attached a little tag that said, “Some MUMMY loves you!”.
So would you like to make your very own? I’ll let you in on a secret it cost me $1. That’s it, seriously. Well, unless you count the Kit-Kats which were $2.50, plus there was tax . . . but you get the idea, it was practically free!
Gauze (got a roll that was more than enough at the Dollar Store)
Glue (I used Modge Podge, in hind sight a hot glue gun might have been easier)
Empty Simply Raspberry Lemonade bottle, any flavor really, Orange Juice, Apple Juice. I just love the Raspberry Lemonade. Also it’s the big bottle not the little one . . . but you could get some little ones and make a whole little mummy family!
Get all your cutting out of the way first.
Unroll gauze, fold in fourths-ish and cut down the middle, then cut into fourths-ish. Basically I wanted to have multiple strips to work with, and they were too fat so I cut it in half. The picture is not to scale, but I hope it helps.
Cut the top off your empty bottle, cutting AWAY from your body, carefully, very carefully. It doesn’t have to be perfectly pretty you’ll cover it up anyway. If you can tell, I had a little slip and cut too much, but I just added some tape, good as new.
Cut out a rectangle out of black paper to cover label and provide a base for you eyes. But see how I didn’t cover the whole label, that became a problem because the gauze is pretty see through, so make sure it’s big enough to cover the whole label. I didn’t worry about the back label, it didn’t show through. Or you could just rip the labels off – ha, I didn’t even think of that tell now.
Once you’ve got everything cut out, glue on rectangle to cover the entire label, add eyes.
Start with one of your gauze strips and wrap it around the container, I didn’t glue my down right away. I sort of held it wrapped it, messed with it, then glued. I also didn’t try to glue down the entire strip, just the beginning and the end. I tried to use Modge Podge, but it was kind of messy because the gauze is holey, maybe a glue gun would have worked better but then you have to worry about getting burned.
Some seriously spooky fun linky parties: