Thursday, February 17, 2011

Paint Stick Swords

 

Sword11

I am a double dipper.  Not in the gross George kind of way (you know George from Seinfeld?).  But I think, why reinvent the wheel?  I made these wonderfully awesome easy cheap swords and shields for kiddo family and friends for Christmas.  And I whipped them out again for Valentine’s Day, but of course gave them to different people. 

I also believe in taking things nice and slow.  So today I am showing how to make the Paint Stick Swords, and tomorrow I’ll show you how to make the Pizza Tray Shields.   

 

Sword1

Supplies for making your own Paint Stick Sword (in case the picture was not self explanatory enough):

  • JUMBO Paint Sticks.  I get my from Lowe’s.  They give me a few for free, but when I’ve asked for more than five they charge like 25 cents a pop.
  • Something to sand with.  I love me some power tools. 
  • Spray Paint.  I used primer first.  Splurged on some serious metallic paint. 
  • Electrical tape.  Not in the picture, but still very important. 
  • 2 Jumbo Popsicle Sticks per sword.  Also not pictured, but very important if you want to make a sword, not just  a shiny paint stick. 
  • Those Papa Murphy’s pizza baking trays are for next time, so ignore those for now. 

Got everything?  Ok we are ready to roll.

 

{Step One}

Sand paint sticks.  Round the corners off.  Get rid of all those pointy corners. 

Sword3

Sword2

 

{Step Two}

Spray paint a primer base coat.  Let dry.  Paint with your metallic paint.  Let dry.

Sword4 

{Step Three}

Attach pommel, I think this is the correct technical term, nope Googled it, it’s called a guard.  Use two Jumbo Popsicle Sticks for each sword.  Use a little bit of hot glue.  Glue one stick on the top and one on the bottom. 

Sword5

 

{Step Four}

Get your Electrical Tape.  Wrap  it all around the guard/hilt/pommel (I {heart} Google).  Give it a good couple layers.  Cover it all over. 

Sword6

 

{Step Five}

Have an awesome sword fight. 

Sword7

Sword9

Stayed tuned for the instructions on how to make the shield.  You simply cannot have a good sword fight without a sword.  “The most important piece of equipment is your shield! If you must make a choice between a sword and a shield, take the shield!”  (Name that movie!)

39 comments:

  1. How to Train Your Dragon :)
    (I heart google too, lol).
    Those are super cute and simple--and I have some silver paint from a major craft fail...and a nephew...hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!! I have a four year old boy who is going to die for this sword.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable. It's great to have easy projects that you know will be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! Who would ever think a paint stick into a sword? My daughter would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. So creative and cheap enough for each kid to get their own. Off to make a bunch for our pirates and knights theme. Did I miss the shield? I would love to know how you made those. PLEASE do share. You can contact me through email if you would like. Thank you again. God Bless. Mrs. Valerie
    skubby1@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you done the shield? My son's class is doing a medieval knights theme and this would be perfect! I would love to see how you attached the handle securely... - Monica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are there instructions for the shield? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I just used a family size pizza tray from Papa Murphy's. I had to call around to a few stores, but finally found one that would give them to me. Spray painted them gold and silver, used black construction paper to cover up the logo. Hot glued 1 inch elastic to the back to stick your arm through and hold on with. Hope this makes sense. Sorry it has taken awhile to get back!

      Delete
  8. Called around and got some paint sticks donated for VBS. Thank you for the great ideal!!

    ReplyDelete

{Thanks for taking time to stop by!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...